Loading...
10-05-1988 Regular Meeting AIRPORT AUTHORITY MEETING MINUTES OF MEETING October 5, 1988 A re9ular meeting of the Airport Authority was held in the Munic1pal Building at 7:00 PM on October 5, 1988. Those members present were Mr. David Good, Ms. Viki Brigham, and Mr. Blaine Price, Mr. Doug Warner, the attorney for the Authority, Mr. Reed Bull and Mr. Gary Varga with Wilber Smith & Associates and the City Engineer, Mr. Barry Amos were also in attendance. MINUTES The minutes of the meeting September 7, 1988 were reviewed. Chairman Good stated that on Page 3, second paragraph there was an extra "another" that needed to be deleted. A motion was made by Chairman Good, seconded by Ms. Brigham and was unanimously adopted to approve the minutes with the correction as stated. ~. The minutes of the special called meeting of September 20, 1988 were reviewed. A motion was made by Ms. Brigham, seconded by Mr. Price and was unanimously adopted to approve the minutes as written. ADDITION OF AGENDA ITEMS Chairman Good added one item to the agenda which would be Executive Session. REVIEW OF CLOSING WITH EQUITABLE & FY'88 GRANT Chairman Good informed the Authority of the process of the closing for the Airport. TIMETABLE FOR CONSTRUCTION Mr. Bull Reed with Wilber Smith & Associates was in attendance to present a tentative time-table of events for the airport. Mr. Bull stated that the geotechnical work for the aerial photographs had been delayed. He also stated that the Authority needed to make their final comments on the schedule before the formal submittal was presented to FAA for their approval. Regular Meeting October 5, 1988 Page 2 TIME TABLE FOR CONSTRUCTION continued He mentioned that the run way had a tentative scheduled opening for public use on April 1, 1991. Ms. Brigham questioned when the environmental mitigation was scheduled to be~in. She felt that if any artifacts were found during the clear1ng and grading of the propert~, that they should be donated to the City to be put in the H1story Room at the Library. Mr. Gary Varga believes the State will require it be turned over to them, but he would check to see if the State would allow the City to keep it in the local history room. Mr. Amos reminded the Authority that before any construction or grading be~ins, that everything needed to be approved by the Planning Comm1ssion. FUEL FARM STATUS AND DISCUSSION Mr. Jim Holder, the president of Aerospec was in attendance to inform the Authority that the tanks with the fuel leakage had been removed. He stated that the tanks were fine when they were removed with very minimal damage to the ground below the tanks. He mentioned that Richard Catlin and Associates were scheduled to start the clean-up operation for the fuel leakage. Mr. Holder requested a workshop with the Airport Authority and a time was set for October 19, 1988, at 7:00 PM to be held in the board room at the Aerospec Building. Chairman Good requested that a written report be submitted at the next scheduled meeting from Richard Catlin and Associates regarding the clean-up operation. AIRPORT ZONING APPLICATION Chairman Good told the Authority that the Planning Commission would be holding two Public Hearings for the Airport Authority regarding the airport on October 24, 1988. Regular Meeting October 5, 1988 Page 3 AIRPORT ZONING APPLICATION continued One public hearin~ is for the pu~ose of a proposed rezoning for the Falcon F1eld-Peachtree C1ty Airport from General Industrial to Airport Industrial, as well as the establishment of overlay zoning classifications on the airport and the area surrounding the airport to restrain influences that may be adverse to the safe operation of the airport. The second public hearing is to allow for public discussion of a proposed amendment that is intended to establish the Airport Authority as an official reviewin~ body of all zoning matters within the Airport Industrial zon1ng district, as well as within all AP-Airport overlay zoning districts. Chairman Good stated that the Authority needed to be to present the site ~lans and landscape plans for the to the Planning Comm1ssion. prepared Airport ILS FEASIBILITY INFORMATION Mr. Varga told the Authority that he has asked FAA to consider whether or not the Peachtree City Airport Authority would be able to obtain an Instrument Landing Systems (ILS). Chairman Good asked Mr. Holder, the president of Aerospec if he would consider submitting a letter to FAA in favor of the ILS for the Falcon Field Airport. Mr. Holder stated that he would be happy to comply. RUNWAY OVERRUN AND GRADING WORK BY CITY AT AIRPORT Chairman Good informed the Authority that near the Water Treatment Plant, on Runway 31, a drainage ditch across the overrun was in need of re~air and would cause serious damage to the aircrafts if not repa1red soon. The city has agreed to do the clearing and grading to the Authority at this time. Mr. Holder of agreed to do the re-grassing of the area after the completed. Work is scheduled to begin within days. at no cost Aeros~ec has grad1ng is the next few Regular Meeting October 5, 1988 Page 4 RUNWAY OVER-RUN & GRADING WORK BY CITY AT AIRPORT continued Mr. Amos, the city Engineer would be the mechanism support for the Authority through the City for any help that could be given. A record of all cost of materials, equipment, wages, etc. would be maintained in the event that at some time in the future of the Airport, the cost of this work may be reimbursed back to the City. CONFEDERATE AIR FORCE FACILITY Chairman Good stated that he had been approached by the Army to house a B-1? Aircraft. They are in need of a facilitv to place the aircraft. He asked the Authority to consider 1t and let him know their decision. AUTHORITY TOUR OF LA GRANGE AIRPORT Ms. Debbie Dennis, was in attendance to present a proposal of a tour of the LaGrange airport for the Peachtree city Airport Authority on October 15th. The Authority would be able to see how that airport is run and to talk with an ex-authority member on how the airport was started. A time was scheduled for 8:00 AM to meet at Falcon Field and all would fly over together. Chairman Good also requested from Mr. Holder the possibility of scheduling a tour of the Falcon Field facility while the Authority was there. This tour would begin before the Authority flies to LaGrange. Mr. Holder was happy to oblige. Chairman Good asked Ms. Bri9ham if she and Ms. Dennis would coordinate a type of flY-1n to introduce the airport and the Authority. He asked that this be done around Congressman Newt Gingrich's schedule since he was very instrumental in helping with the process of obtaining the grant for the airport. SIGNAGE Peachtree City Develo~ment Corporation has designed a program for Falcon F1eld which included a pro~osed public at the entrance to Falcon Field on Dividend Dr1ve. sign sign Regular Meeting October 5, 1988 Page 5 SIGNAGE continued The public sign will be owned and ~aid for by the Airport Authority. There was some discuss~on regarding the design of the sign and some of the members su~gested including some type of wording to proclaim that the a~rport is owned and operated by the Peachtree city Airport Authority. Ms. Brigham liked the signage but asked that more lights be added in order to see it better from the road. A motion was made by Ms. Brigham, seconded by Chairman Good for discussion. After discussion a vote was called to authorize expenditures for the sign. All voted in opposition and the motion was defeated. Another motion was made by Ms. Brigham, Good and was unanimously adopted to have submitted for the signage before a final seconded the cost decision by Chairman documentation was made. EXECUTIVE SESSION The Chairman recessed the meeting into Executive Session. A motion was made by Chairman Good, seconded by Ms. and was unanimously adopted for Mr. Dou~ Warner, the for the Authority, to authorize Aust~n and Burn to second opinion on through-the-fence agreements. Brigham attorney obtain a The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 PM. Chairman Attest, qw GMdh.c