Loading...
05-02-1990 Regular Meeting r r AIRPORT AUTHORITY MEETING MINUTES OF MEETING May 2, 1990 The regular meeting of the Airport Authority was held in the Peachtree City Public Service Building at 7:00 PM on May 2, 1990. Those members present were Mr. David Good, Ms. Viki Brigham, Mr. John Dennis, Mr. Blaine Price and Mr. Mike Amos. Mr. Rick Lindsey an attorney with McGinn, Webb & Warner, Mr. Steve Smith and Mr. Bob Kelly with Wilbur Smith & Associates, the City Engineer, Mr. Barry Amos, Mr. John Boothby, Economic Development Organization, and Mr. Jim Savage with Aviation Associates were also in attendance. ADDITION OF AGENDA ITEMS Chairman Good stated that he had some information items that he would like to add at the end of the agenda. MINUTES A motion was made by Mr. Amos, seconded by Ms. Brigham and unanimously adopted to approve the minutes of the April 4, 1990 with one change of the heading on page 3. AVIATION ASSOCIATES. INC. Mr. Jim Savage was in attendance to present the Authority his monthly report. Mr. Savage had a news release that was sent on April 23, 1990. He also handed out copies of the monthly report and a letter that was sent to Mr. Robert Chapman of the Airport's District Office and a draft copy of the Rules and Regulations. A copy of the Rules and Regulations has been sent to Field Aircraft for their comments. He asked that the members review the draft, which has some changes from the last draft. Chairman Good updated the members that the original draft was done by Wilbur Smith and was given to Mr. Savage to consolidate with the intention of requiring the FBO to start enforcing as soon as the final draft has been adopted. This should be adopted within the next to two months. - b ~ l:, ,.~ ~. Regular Meeting May 2, 1990 Page 2 AVIATION ASSOCIATED. INC. (Cont'd) ,...., t t I Mr. Savage has drafted a letter concernin9 the noise abatement procedures. A meeting will be set up wlth Mr. Chapman FAA representative, concerning the noise abatement and how it wiil be enforced. Ms. Brigham guestioned the control of the noise abatement being included in the rules and regulations. Mr. Savage stated that he would check into it. Mr. Good stated the noise abatement would be included in the pilot handbook. Mr. Dennis questioned the frequency that was recommended. Mr. Savage stated that he would get a copy of the frequencies used by other airports. Mr. Price would like Mr. Savage's written report for review before the meetings. Mr. Savage stated he would send out in draft form before the meetings. WILBUR SMITH & ASSOCIATES Invoices were presented from Wilbur Smith & Associates and Haygood Contractors. A motion was made by Mr. Price and seconded by Mr. Dennis and was unanimously adopted to approve the invoices as presented. Mr. Smith stated that the project has been moving along, but the contractor will not be finished as projected. Mr. Smith stated that he should be finished by the end of the week. Mr. Smith requested that the Authority increase the estimated limits for construction, engineering, and testing in the supplemental agreement 3 on this project. The contract provisions has a clause not to exceed without Authority approval. This has been approved by FAA, but need the Authority's approval. Chairman Good requested that Wilbur Smith give him a punch list of items that need to be completed by the contractor. A motion was made by Ms. Brigham accept the contract subject to FAA in regards to the time frame previously discussed. This motion was seconded by Mr. Amos and unanimously approved. ,..., r' .. - ,-~~-_._ '"'___ ._,....l~~~_.~___...._....__.., ..C"___~~~_'___m'_~""_"~ _,'_,__'--~__c-,__,_,,__~__,,___,_,,--,-_,~. r-"1 to f;' Regular Meeting May 2, 1990 Page 3 WILBUR SMITH & ASSOCIATES (Cont'd) A letter had been sent by the contractor concerning payments from the Authority that had been delinquent. The Authority has paid on a monthly basis, not a specific date as was so stated in the letter. Chairman Good stated this needed to be passed on to the Attorney for response. TERMINAL AREA PLAN Mr. Steve Smith presented the terminal area plans to the FAA and the Ga. O.O.T. representatives. At the presentation there was very favorable comments received from the FAA with a few minor changes. Written comments should be received from the FAA by the middle of the month. This plan should be finalized by the next meeting. AWOS STATUS The designs are completed awaiting FAA approval for the AWAS site. The FCC is waiting for the FAA's approval. Mr. Price stated that he thought the original plan had the NOB located on-site. Mr. Smith stated that it did, but the State's grant stated that it has to be located off site. BID RESULTS Mr. Smith had a bid tabulation that was received on the 26th of April. Two bidders were received for each schedule. The first was for the paving, grading, marking. The low bidder was W. E. Pruett under the estimated cost. The second schedule was for the electricai work. TCA Electrical was the low bidder, again under the estimated cost. The bid bond and OBE requirements have been checked and ask that the Authority award the contracts to W. E. Pruett for paving, grading, marking, and TCA Electrical for the electrical work. Ms. Brigham questioned the use of low bidders for the runway. Mr. Smith stated that the FAA was very strict about the constructions of runways, and will be monitored from the beginning of construction to the finish. ",,-.. Regular Meeting May 2, 1990 Page 4 BID RESULTS A motion was made by Mr. Price that the bid be accepted for W. E. Pruett to do the paving, gradingi and marking of the runway and TCA Electrical to do the electrica work for the runway. Mr. Dennis seconded the motion and was unanimously approved. Mr. Smith will begin procedures for a contract and performance bond. Chairman Good stated the Authority's motion would be accepted only after the Attorney's have reviewed the contracts. ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN OF TERMINAL ,..... Mr. Amos presented the preliminary architectural design before the Planning Commission and it was approved. Mr. Smith, Mr. Savage, and Mr. Amos have begun working on the preliminaries for presenting bids for architects. Mr. Amos asked that the Authority consider a mini- contest be had to encourage architects to bid on this project. The bidders will be asked to present their credentials by the 29th of the month. Interviews will be held on the 6th and 7th of June. Formal presentation will be on July 18th. Following that will select the award winner. It is normal to have competition for an architectural design. It is felt that $2,000.00 to each selected presentation is a fair amount. Mr. Amos made a motion the Authority accept this proposal as presented. This proposal was seconded by Ms. Brigham and opened for discussion. Ms. Brigham questioned what type of credentials. Mr. Amos stated this is a portfolio of previous accomplishments, such as models, graphs, designs, etc.. Mr. Smith stated a draft is being worked out as to what needs to be presented to be considered for qualifications. Mr. Price discussed the design of the hangar be included in the architectural design. Chairman Good did not see the design of a hangar as a tie in with the architectural of a terminal. Mr. Amos stated this should be limited to the terminal design and tie the hangar in later with the same design as the terminal. Chairman Good stated with this competition, the Authority will have a lar~e amount of designs to select from. Mr. Amos stated everyone will be lncluded in the selection. A special called meeting will be held on July 18th for this review. ~ -. ~ ~. . Regular Meeting May 2, 1990 Page 5 ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN OF TERMINAL This discussion was closed and the motion was approved as presented with unanimous approval. INFORMATION ITEMS Chairman Good presented a letter from Mr. Hal Rives stating that supplemental funding has been eliminated for DOT's budget which will delay localizer funding. Mayor Brown and Chairman Good will be contacting the State Legislature to encourage them to get supplemental fundin~ in the fall budget to get the localizer back on line. Chairman Good wlll keep the members informed. Chairman Good received a letter from CSX Railroad with the signed contract. The CSX local contractor will be contacted to commence the project. Mr. John Boothby, representing the Economic Development Organization, was present at this meeting. Chairman Good will be presenting the Airport Authority at the Economic Development meeting on Friday. Mr. Boothby stated that the organization is interested in the improvements being made at the airport. Mr. Boothby would like to visit with each Authority member and see the Master Plan. Chairman Good will be presenting the Master Plan at the Economic Development meeting on Friday. The meeting adjourned at 8:12 pm. p 'id,~,4 Attest:jJ(',uVUl" j-~ 6