Loading...
10-02-1991 Regular Meeting ,...., , , L 1; ,"""'" ~ - f ~ t PEACHTREE CITY AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES OF MEETING October 2, 1991 A regular meeting of the Airport Authority was held in the City Hall Council Chambers at 7:01 PM on October 2, 1991. Those members present were Mr. David Good, Ms. Viki Brigham and Mr. John Dennis. Mr. Blaine Price and Mr. Mike Amos had excused absences. Also attending the meeting were Mr. Doug Warner, the Authority attorney; Mr. Steve Smith with Wilbur Smith & Associates; and Mr. Jim Savage, the Airport Authority Coordinator; the City Engineer, Mr. Barry Amos; and the recording secretary, Ms. Gail Rosales. APPROVAL OF MINUTES The minutes of the re~ular meeting for September 3 and 10, 1991 were available for reV1ew. Ms. Brigham asked to make some grammatical changes to the minutes. A motion was made by Ms. Brigham, seconded by Mr. Dennis and unanimously adopted to approve the minutes with the grammatical changes as recommended. REPORTS Airport Authority Coordinator On September 5, 1991 a meeting was held with Mr. H.F. (Doc) Manget, the former manager of the Dekalb/Peachtree Airport, Mr. Bob Truitt the Chairman of the Development Authority of Peachtree City, Chairman Good and Mr. Savage. The meeting was held to discuss the feasibility of a ~oint project similar to what was discussed previously. The S1ze of hangers considered were 80' x 100' or 100' x 120' with a 30 foot lean-to office attachments to the side. More information was needed before consideration would be given. Mr. Manget would research the information and notify the Authority as soon as possible. He has a~reed to work with the Authority as a consultant on an hourly basis 1f the Airport Authority and the Development Authority wish to proceed with this project. The non-directional beacon (NDB) site acquisition is progressing. Mr. Warner informed the Authority that the twent~ foot easement for the access road back to the site may require add1tional acquisition of easement to provide for power using an overhead power line. This situation may force the Authority to use an underground power line from the street back to the site. There is a request that Wilbur Smith & Associates work with the power company to look at all possibilities. Mr. Warner stated that the acquisition of the NDB site was essentially complete. There was a minor problem with the land owner over site screening. The owners specifically requested the screening be done with wax myrtles. The papers are now in transit because of the requirement of all signatures on the documents. Mr. Warner apologized for the delays. Mr. Savage concurred with Mr. Warner and they did not feel there was any cause for concern. ,...., " r t , r i ~ r ~.. Page 2 Regular Meeting October 2, 1991 REPORTS continued Mr. Savage stated that the State has released funding for their portion of the fencing ~roject which is $7,425. The State portion of the cost for the nav~gational aid project (75 percent) would be approximately $264,000. This project has not been sent out for bid so the figure is still an estimate. The next bid documents to be released are for the localizer/Distance Measuring Equipment (DME), Omni Directional Approach Light System (ODALS) and the NDB. Supplement #10 provides for the engineerings services that will be provided by Wilbur Smith & Associates on the design, bidding and construction supervision for the security fencing project. Previously, the authority established a "not to exceed" amount for the engineering work that would need to be done. This amount was submitted to the FAA and the Authority has been notified they were not in total agreement with the amount specified. The amount was modified and lowered by $6,347. Recently, Mr. Tom Gresham contacted Mr. Savage about archaeological dig that took place before the construction of runway. Mr. Gresham was originally involved ~n the dig expressed and interest by the group to complete the project. group provided the permanent display in the library. They also developed a narrative and a traveling display with artifacts found. Ms. Brigham spoke in length with Mr. Gresham and was prepared to brief the authority on this discussion. the the and This have the Ms. Brigham contacted the school system to see what grade group of children studied Indian history. It was determined that the ~rade group most involved was the fourth and fifth grades. Ms. Br~gham then called Mr. Gresham and they agreed to make the traveling displar available for the middle grade schools. The report or narrat~ve that goes with the display is more suited for adults and upper grade level studies. Ms. Brigham felt the civic clubs would be interested also in the artifacts and reports. Ms. Brigham also commented that Mr. Gresham mentioned that the report was just now being completed. He asked whether Ms. Brigham would be interested in helping edit the report. Ms. Brigham agreed to the task. Mr. Savage next reported that the FCC license has been received for the NDB. The frequency is 316 Kilohertz and the identifier is "FOXFOX" or "FF." It has been given the name "PECAT" because it is a locator and not a locator outer marker. Mr. Savage feels the name "PECAT" will not be approved by the FAA because there is a facility in Albany, Georgia named "PECAN," and the similarity is too great. ,....., Page 3 Regular Meeting October 2, 1991 REPORTS continued Mr. Savage asked Mr. Warner about the status of the quit claim deed for the taxiwa~ easement. Mr. Warner reported that Mr. Phil Thatch was revlewing it at this time. As soon as Mr. Thatch is finished, it is expected to be returned to Mr. Warner for further processing. Chairman Good asked that if was not returned by Tuesday of the next week, if Mr. Warner would follow up on it. It was needed before the next phase of construction could begin. Mr. Savage lastly commented on a letter received by Mr. Stephan A. Brill, Manager, Airports Division, FAA. It was sent to the Authority expressing the FAA's gratitude on the ability to film parts of a safety film at the airport. Mr. Bob Kelly with Wilbur smith & Associates was also in the film and the gratitude was extended to him. Mr. Smith stated the message would be passed along. ,.-, ~ F f Wilbur smith , Associates Mr. smith reported that the AlP 04 project with W.E. Pruett and TCA contract was being processed for final inspection. Most of the punch list items have been handled. It was suggested that a portion of the amount due be retained until it has been determined that all work was satisfactorily completed. The AlP 05 project is for the terminal area and apron construction. The designs have been completed, reviewed and approved by FAA and the State early in September. The bids were advertised and to date there were fourteen cOntractors who have received plans. There is a pre-bid conference scheduled for October 3 at 11:00 AM. The bid opening is scheduled for October 10 at 2:00 PM. Both will be held in the City Hall Council Chambers. The AlP 06 fencing project has been awarded to Allied Fence Company. Their credentials were verified, the grant application was submitted to the FAA and has been received and executed. Upon receipt of the contractors bonds and insurance certificates, and assuming those are in order, the project will be presented to the Authority for execution. A notice will then be issued to proceed. The notice to proceed cannot be issued until the grant from the State is received. The navi~ational aids project has been postponed until knowledge of the fundlng came through, the final location of the access road is known and whether the power line would need to be installed underground. Advertising is anticipated within two weeks. r-" , Page 4 Regular Meeting October 2, 1991 r-< REPORTS continued Mr. Smith presented three (3) invoice packages from Wilbur smith & Associates for the AlP 04 project. The first invoice is for the inspection, testing, and construction administration of $17,892.50. From W.E. Pruett, the contractor on Schedule A, the invoice is for $132,403.59 and from TCA Electric Company, the lighting contractor, the invoice is for $73,041.70. The two contractors are requesting the bulk of their retainage that was being held from the beginning of the job, which is approximately ten percent. Final inspections have been held and it is practically finished and there is only minor work to be done. Wilbur smith & Associates is requesting the release of most of the retainage to the contractor. It was requested that ap~roximately $40,000. be withheld from W.E. Pruett to cover the liqu1dated damages of about $33,000; the contractor is responsible for approximately $2,000 worth of materials for testing when the asphalt that was placed did not met testing requirements. It was necessary to remove, replace and re-test the asphalt. About $5,000 of work has yet to be completed. Wilbur Smith & Associates is requesting that about 2-1/2 percent or approximately $6,000 of the amount to TCA Electric Company be retained. Chairman Good questioned whether TCA had checked the the lights on the runwars. The pur~ose was to see any leakages or shorts 1n the light1ng system. Mr. that the check had been done. resistance of if there were smith stated Chairman Good commented that there had been a ~roblem during the walk-thru inspection. Chairman Good had specif1ed that when the re-test was done that he be included but wasn't. It was recommended that another test be done so the Chairman may attend. Chairman Good commented that he wanted to be completely satisfied that all the electronic equipment is in working order. Mr. Smith affirmed that he would reschedule another walk-thru. Mr. Smith stated the controls. It the proposals are with the work. that would being TCA would be doing some additional work on be an additional $1,000 to do this work and prepared at this time before commencing Mr. Smith commented that accompanying the invoices as part of AlP 04 project, there were FAA reimbursement forms for $211,656 and the Georgia Department of Transportation (GA DOT) for a little over $1,500. n " ,.-, t t , Page 5 Regular Meeting October 2, 1991 REPORTS continued An invoice for the AlP 05 pro~ect was submitted for Wilbur Smith & Associates (to complete the f~nal designs and surveys) in the amount of $16,747.09; the accompanying FAA form is for a $16,747 reimbursement. An invoice for the AlP 06 project was submitted for Wilbur Smith & Associates (for design, bidding, and preparation of DBE plan for the fencing job) in the amount of $18,198.19; the accompanying FAA form is for a $18,198 reimbursement. A motion was made by Mr. Dennis, seconded by Ms. Brigham and unanimously adopted to approve the invoices as submitted. NEW AGENDA ITEMS 91-10-01 Consider placing ad in 1992 edition of "A Guide to Peachtree City" - Neal DuPre ~ The Chairman introduced Ms. Neal DUPre, the advertising mana~er . for, "A Guide to Peachtree city." Ms. DuPre asked if the Author~ty would consider advertising in the "Guide" again this year. Last year the Authority purchased a half page black and white ad. The price is about four percent more this year for the same type ad; the cost would be about $1,015. There are 16,000 guides printed and distributed. Along with other sources of distribution, this is given to all homeowners in Peachtree City, through the information center, through builders, and advertised in the home finders section. The purpose of the guide is for promotional purposes. The space reservations are due by October 21 and camera ready copy b~ November 1. Ms. DuPre felt the Authority decision could wait t~ll the next Authority meeting. Chairman Good stated that last year, funding for this promotion came out of the Hotel/Motel tax monies that was shared by the Development Authority. He stated there were sufficient monies in that account to do this. Ms. Brigham stated that the Authority should consider a budget intended only for advertising purposes and whether this would be the advertisement they would want for the year. Ms. Brigham volunteered to prepare budget and present to the Authority. if she could attend the next meeting would give her a decision at that affirmative. a proposal for an advertising Chairman Good asked Ms. DuPre in November and the Authority time. She responded in the ,...., , ~; I, f' Page 6 Regular Meeting October 2, 1991 NEW AGENDA ITEMS continued 91-10-02 Consider actions to fill vacancy on the Airport Authority: Chairman Good announced an appointment opening on the Airport Authority on January 1, 1992. Individuals interested in serving on the Authority should submit a letter of interest and resume for the position to Barry Amos, the City Engineer by October 23 in order to be considered. Chairman Good has appointed Mr. Blaine Price to represent the Authority and act as Chairman of the Selection Committee that would consider the applications. 91-10-03 Consider further participation in American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE), group storm water discharge application: Mr. Savage recommended that the Authority continued to participate in the AAAE group application for a storm water discharge permit. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will require airports to get a permit and could require them to submit a study of impact on storm water discharge in the vicinity of their airport. This study could potentially cost $20,000 to $40,000. Under this program the EPA has allowed several airports to apply as a group to Seek permits. Random testin~ and similar studies would be done for a cost of $1,750 each a1rport. For example, of 500 airports in the group, 50 of the airports would be tested for their storm water discharge. The funding would come from the group monies instead of the individual airports. The storm water discharge permit required by EPA, checks the amount of discharge emitted by the airports such as gasoline, soaps, and leakages that occur into the streams. Eventually, the EPA will make it mandatory for all airports to follow this procedure of storm water discharge testing and compliance. Because of the close proximity to a wetlands area, Mr. Savage and Mr. smith felt the most inexpensive war to meet the future requirements, was to join with the group perm1t instead of waiting two to three years when it would be required by EPA. At that point the Authority would have to shoulder the burden of the cost alone. Chairman Good asked if there was a time limit to join. Mr. Savage responded that there might be, he was not sure. Chairman Good asked if there was a ~ossibility of deferring the payment for at least a year but j01ning immediately. He asked Mr. Savage to prepare a letter with this request for submittal to AAAE. ,.... , ! ~ ,.."..__._----_..~-'".._-.--~,--_..:.-_---~---_._,._.-...,~-~--------.~._--- Page 7 Regular Meeting October 2, 1991 NEW AGENDA ITEMS continued 91-10-04 Consider soliciting proposals for building a fuel farm, supplying fuel and leasing aircraft refuelers: Mr. Savage prepared a fuel farm, supplying fixed base operation. start for taking over first draft proposal to solicit building a fuel and leasing aircraft refuelers for a Chairman Good stated that this document is a the fueling operations at the airport. Mr. Dennis asked whether the Authority is considering building the fuel farm themselves then operating it or having someone else build it. Chairman Good replied there are several sources in the field willing to build the fuel farm, lease the trucks to the Authority under certain arrangements. The proposals submitted by Mr. Savage addresses this operation. Mr. Dennis clarified it by stating: the fuel farm would be built on the airport, built with funds from other sources, belongs to someone else, and be leased to the authority. Chairman Good stated that there were several options, for example, the fuel farms could be leased back to the Authority, lease/purchased or built by the Authority. All will be considered, whatever is the most cost effective. Mr. Savage is asking know of any changes proposals. A motion was made by unanimously adopted to documents to solicit facility, suppliers of related services. the Authority to review the draft, let him required, then authorize a request for bid Ms. Brigham, seconded by Mr. Dennis and authorize Mr. Savage to prepare the bid proposals for buildin~ a fuel storage fuel, and leasing a1rcraft refuelers and Chairman Good asked Mr. Savage if he could prepare and provide the bid proposals submitted by the next meeting so the Authority would have proposals to consider. Mr. Savage affirmed that he could. A motion was made by Chairman Good, seconded by unanimously adopted to adjourn into Executive lease negotiations. Ms. Brigham and Session to discuss EXECUTIVE SESSION No action was taken at this time business to discuss, the meeting was Attest~~ and there being no adjourned at 8~ DDcfo%, C a1rman further