Loading...
02-07-1996 Regular Meeting ~ PEACHTREE CITY AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES OF MEETING FEBRUARY 7,1996 The regular meeting of the Peachtree City Airport Authority, was held in the City Hall Council Chambers on February 7, 1996, at 7 p.m. Those present were: Chairman David M. Good; Members Michael E. Amos, Janet Wells, Robert B. Patterson and Daniel E. Carr; Airport Manager James H. Savage; Authority Attorney Douglas B. Warner; and Recording Secretary Shirley R. Comer. I. ANNOUNCEMENTS None. II. ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS r-", None. III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES A motion was made by Mr. Amos and seconded by Mr. Patterson to approve the minutes of the January 3, 1996, Authority meeting as presented. The motion passed unanimously. IV. REPORTS Due to a conflict of schedules for the evening, Mr. Jim Pace of Group VI Corporation asked to present his report first. r-. I Group VI Construction Report: Mr. Pace gave the Authority a brief outline of the progress on the Aviation Center and T-hangar projects: 1 1. Sewer line construction is completed from the Aviation Center to the sewer manhole near the end of Echo Court. Surface area repairs will be completed once the soil dries enough to spread. '~ F 2. 80% of the curb and gutter for the auto parking lot and driveway have been completed and the remainder is schedule for next week. A good stone base has been put down so that access to the building site is possible regardless of weather. 3. Utility construction is underway, with the 6 inch fire line in place. Power line, gas line, telephone and domestic waterline installations are scheduled soon. 4. Foundation work is scheduled to begin tomorrow and if the weather permits, will continue through the weekend. Mr. Pace explained that the recent rains and freezing temperatures have hampered footing and slab construction, but he feels confident that the building will be completed by May 31, 1996. r 5. Grading for the T -hangar slab is nearly completed and construction is scheduled to begin next week. The same sub-contractor will be doing both the Aviation Center and the T-hangar concrete work. Airport Manager: Mr. Savage briefed the Authority on the following issues: 1. Mr. Savage is working with Wilbur Smith and Associates and Jack Berry and Associates to produce a survey and aerial photo of the approach area to Runway 13. The Authority currently maintains an easement for a 20 to 1 approach slope to the runway, but the FAA would like the Authority to maintain a 34 to 1 slope. The FAA will fund such an acquisition so that future construction or tree growth on the golf course can be controlled to protect the airspace for instrument approach procedures. Mr. Savage will be compiling the information gathered and meeting with the owners of the golf course to discuss the acquisition. "..... t. ., I 2 ..... ;- ,..... t 2. Snow on January 7, required plowing the center 50 feet, which Mr. Bob Gray was able to do with the Authority's tractor and scraper blade, The snow of February 3, required no action and was gone by 5 p.m. on the fourth. Notice's to Airmen (NOTAM's) were issued for all days that the snow affected operations. 3. Contracts with the State DOT and Bishop Crack Sealing Company have been signed to proceed with the runway crack sealing project. Mr. Bishop has indicated that he wants to start work as soon as the weather will permit. Temperatures must be above 45 degrees and the pavement must be dry. The project should take no more than two days. 4. Private hangar owner Mike Gunn is awaiting delivery of his main hangar door and will begin paving of his apron and taxilane as soon as weather permits. Two other groups have indicated that they wish to lease lots to build private hangars soon. One next to Mr. Gunn's hangar and one next to Mr. John Sellmer's Port-A-Port. 5. Mr. Savage attended the annual airport manager's conference held by the FAA on January 22 and 23. No significant developments since last year, except that the Airport Improvement Program is likely to undergo major revision after Fiscal Year 1997. The exact impact on Peachtree City-Falcon Field Airport (FFC) is not known, but the definition of "reliever" airport might change and the funding levels are likely to be reduced. Precision approach procedures using Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites are not likely before 1998. FFC will qualify for one or more of these approaches when developed. 6. Grading for the T -hangar is nearly complete, but the site remains wet. Contracts with all sub-contractors have been signed and the building is on order with deliver expected about April 15. 7. Attempts to get the Fayette County Water System to accept the 900 foot extension of the 8 inch water line to the hangar area have failed. The Authority isnow faced with (at a minimum) with an additional $14,000 in waterline construction costs, including an $8,400 backflow preventer. Contractor Don Brandenburg is checking on the cost of placing a meter box large enough to accommodate the backflow preventer and an 8 inch meter should future demand indicate a need. The total price for an 8 inch meter and backflow preventer is $20,000, plus installation (approximately $7,500) and $40 per month minimum 3 .~ r'" "..... I 8. 9. service charge. All members agreed that an 8 inch meter is not justified at this time. Mr. Savage has spoken with the staff of Congressman Newt Gingrich and Congressman Mac Collins to invite the gentlemen to participate in the dedication and ribbon cutting for the Aviation Center, scheduled for June 17, 1996, at 10 a.m. City Manager Jim Basinger indicates that the Olympic Torch will be passing through the City about that same time on June 17, and that it may be possible to route it by the Aviation Center's dedication. Mr. Savage will follow up on the idea. Mr. Savage presented the first request for payment from Wilbur Smith and Associates (WSA) for the Aviation Center apron paving project (AlP 03-13-0146-09), in the amount of $19,052.10. The request is for preliminary design and bidding work performed by WSA on the project. Traditionally, these pay requests are presented by WSA and approved in public by the Authority. Once construction begins in mid- March, these requests will be handled by Steve Smith or Ed Doyle of Wilbur Smith. A motion was made by Mr. Carr and seconded by Ms. Wells to approve the pay request as presented and authorize the Chairman to sign the FAA request for reimbursement in the amount of $19,052.10. The motion passed unanimously. v. OLD AGENDA ITEMS None. 4 ........ ~, t ~ I; , VI. NEW AGENDA ITEMS 96-02-01 Consider purchasing embroidered "golf' shirts to identify Authority members and staff during the Olympic period, Mr. Savage presented several samples of the type of shirt that he believes could be used to help identify Authority members and staff during the Olympic event. The shirts can also be used for advertising and a limited give-a-way program as well. A memo outlining his proposal is attached and made a part of these minutes. A motion was made by Mr. Amos and seconded by Mr. Carr to purchase 24 shirts of various sizes, in "hunter green" as presented in the tri-color sample, at a cost of $20.75 each. It is intended that employees will be given three shirts each and that any Authority member wanting a shirt or shirts would reimburse the Authority for his or her garments, with the remainder to be used for advertising purposes. The motion passed unanimously. VII. EXECUTIVE SESSION There being no further business for Executive or regular session, a motion to adjourn was made by Mr. Patterson and seconded by Mr. Amos at 7:55 p.m. The motion passed unanimously. ~~ Attested by: ()C/~iJ David M. Good, Chairman 5 2-29-96 -. PEACHTREE CITY AIRPORT AUTHORITY RECORD OF ATTENDANCE AS OF: February 29, 1996 Members Regular Meetings Meetings Regular Special Called Special Called Total Last 12 Months Attended Attendance Meetlnas Last Meetinas Attendance % 12 Months Attended % David M. Good 10 10 100% 4 4 100% Janet Wells' 2 2 100% 0 0 100% Bob Patterson 10 10 100% 4 4 100% Dan Carr 10 10 100% 4 4 100% . Mike Amos 10 10 100% 4 3 93% . New member 1/1/96 r-. t Ii , : Jlembers Dates Absent Type David M. Good Janet Wells Bob Patterson Dan Carr Mike Amos 3/15/95 Soecial Meeting Dates Type 1/3/96 Reaular 217/96 Reaular 3/1/95 Reaular 3/11/95 Soecial 3/15/95 Soecial 4/5/95 Reaular 5/3195 Regular 617195 None 7/5/95 Regular 8/2/95 Regular 8/18/95 Special 9/6/95 Regular 9/26/95 Special 10/4/95 None 11/8/95 Reaular 12/6/95 Reaular -- Page 1