Loading...
06-12-1996 Regular Meeting "...., r- -- ! ~ PEACHTREE CITY AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES OF MEETING June 12, 1996 The regular meeting of the Peachtree City Airport Authority, was held in the City Hall Council Chambers on June 12, 1996, at 7 p.m. Those present were: Chairman David M. Good; Members Michael E. Amos, Daniel E. Carr, Robert B. Patterson, and Janet Wells; Airport Manager James H. Savage; Authority Attorney Douglas B. Warner and Recording Secretary Shirley R. Comer. I. ANNOUNCEMENTS None. II. ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS None. III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES A motion was made by Ms. Wells and seconded by Mr. Carr to approve the minutes of the May 1,1996, Authority meeting as presented. The motion passed unanimously. A motion was made by Mr. Patterson and seconded by Mr. Amos to approve the minutes of the May 20, 1996, Authority meeting as presented. The motion passed unanimously. IV. REPORTS 1. Airport Manager: Mr. Savage briefed the Authority on the following issues: a) All repairs to the aircraft parking apron, that was damaged during the fire caused by the runway crack sealing contractor, have been satisfactorily completed at Bishop Joint Sealing's expense. The contractor has provided a full lien release for his work and he has been paid in full. 1 r b) Mike Gunn's ramp and adjacent taxilane were completely removed and replaced due to pavement failure. Mr. Gunn contracted with APAC of Georgia to remove, re-compact sub-grade and re-pave the area to Georgia DOT standards. This work was accomplished during APAC's work for the Authority. They also paved the parking areas for Mr. Doug Warner's hangar and Mr. Leo Giles' at the same time. All work was completed satisfactorily, except for five or six small areas where "bird baths' form after a rain or where the workmanship was somewhat sub- standard. The Ga DOT has inspected the work and has requested that these small areas be reworked prior to complete payment. APAC has decided to wait until after the Olympic Games to accomplish this work and is seal- coating all areas for now, so that the areas appear uniform. c) The entrance sign to the Aviation Center has been approved by the City and is under construction. Marell Industries has indicated that they expect it to be completed and installed prior to July 4, 1996. d) Jill Truitt is working with Tate Godfrey of PC DC to utilize the Aviation Center to host several visiting CEO's and other dignitaries during the Olympic event. Plans call for PC DC and the City to sponsor a cocktail party at the facility and provide helicopter tours over the city to help promote industrial development. Details will be provided to the Authority as they become available. e) The flag pole for the Aviation Center was erected on May 22, for an installed price of $1 ,950.00, or some $450.00 less than budget. Mr. Savage plans to begin flying an American flag on a 24 hour basis as soon as the outside lighting system is completed. f) The T-hangar is nearing completion. The electrical system is the only thing remaining to be completed, and it should be finished this week. Final inspection is set for Thursday afternoon. g) The FAA moved its temporary Air Traffic Control Tower on to the site on June 1. Technicians are installing equipment and the FAA is providing 24. hour security for the $650,000 facility. Plans call for the facility to be operating July 14, through August 5, 1996, in conjunction with the anticipated air traffic increase during the Olympic event. e) Andrew Wagner will start as the Authority's full-time summer maintenance worker, tomorrow June 13. Andy is a 23 year old college student at Gordon College. Mr. Savage had invited him to attend the Authority's meeting, but he is finishing finals at school this evening and could not be present. 2 - i ' t :-""l t I f) The entrance road to the T-hangar area has been paved to the limits approved at the last Authority meeting (fuel farm). Mr. Savage has a bid price of $2,643.40 to complete an additional 252 feet, which will complete the road to the second entrance to the new T-hangar, but the paving equipment has already been removed. Mr. Savage plans to reconsider paving additional roadway once all incidental expenses for the new Aviation Center have been identified and funded. 2. Group VI: Mr. Charles Sibley of Group VI gave a brief overview of progress on the Aviation Center. The building is very near completion, with most of the landscaping, floor coverings, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and painting complete. Final clean up is scheduled to start tomorrow, with the City's final inspection planned for Friday. Chairman Good requested a final walk-through for 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 15. Mr. Sibley agreed to the date requested. 3. Wilbur Smith and Associates: Mr. Ed Doyle of WSA gave a brief report on the AlP 09 Aviation Center paving project, which is also nearing completion. APAC of Georgia sub-contractors are finishing seal coating the apron and the taxi lane stripes will be placed on Friday. Mr. Doyle also gave a brief review of the State DOT taxilane project which is also nearing completion. The same contractors are doing both projects and are currently seal coating the new taxilane areas simultaneous with the Federal project. . Mr. Doyle indicated that there are several small areas that need to be re-worked on the taxi lane project and that he would see that sufficient funds are retained from the state project to complete the work, which APAC wants to delay until after the Olympic event. Mr. Doyle submitted a pay request for resident engineer inspection, testing and construction completed to date on the AlP 09 project by APAC of Georgia, in the amount of $220,017.78, and by Wilbur Smith and Associates in the amount of $31 ,405.77. 3 ~ ~ , r ~; t He also submitted a pay request for similar work on the State taxi lane project from AP AC of Georgia in the amount of $56,761.99, and from Wilbur Smith and Associates in the amount of $2,516.50. A motion was made by Mr. Amos and seconded by Mr. Patterson to approve the requests as submitted. The motion passed unanimously. V. OLD AGENDA ITEMS None. VI. NEW AGENDA ITEMS 96-06-01 Consider proposal from Mr. Wayne Sutton to build private hangar on lots 0-22 and 0-23. Mr. Sutton gave a brief overview of his proposal to build a private hangar and office on lots 0-22 and .0-23. A copy of the proposal is attached and made a part of these minutes. . The Authority spent considerable time discussing the need to build public restroom facilities in the northwest tie-clown area, and the need to build a single septic tank system, owned by the Authority, to serve this restroom and the hangars built on 0-21 through 0-23. Mr. Sutton was asked if he could re-clesign his hangar and office to fit on a single lot and to determine the cost of building the necessary septic system and waterline to serve the area. He indicated he would work with Mr. Savage towards that goal and would have an answer by the next Authority meeting. Mr. Mike Gunn, lease holder of 0-21, and Mr. John Sindell, T-hangar tenant, rose to speak in favor of installing the septic system and building the public facilities. A motion was made by Mr. Amos and seconded by Mr. Carr to table action on this item until the July Authority meeting. The motion passed unanimously. 4 ...... . , 96-06-02 Confer with Mr. Kurt Herwald of Stevens Aviation. A spokesman for Mr. Herwald called after this agenda was published and indicated that Mr. Herwald would be unable to attend this meeting due a scheduling conflict, but would like to be heard during the next meeting of the Authority. No action was taken on this item. VII. EXECUTIVE SESSION There being no further business for Executive or regular session, at 8:02 p.m., a motion to adjourn was made by Chairman Good and seconded by Mr. Carr. The motion passed unanimously. ~~ Attested by: f)cnIJ David M. Good, Chairman ~ , 5 CSA COMMERCIAL PRE.ENGINEERED BUILDINGS INOUSTI'lIAL INTERIOR CONSTl'lUCTlON r CONSTRUCTION SERVICE ASSOCIATES, INC, (404) H9-803O (404) H9 8032 . May 20, 1996 Mr. Jim Savage Airport Manager Peachtree City Airport Authority 1130 Echo Court P.O. Box 2371 Peachtree City, Georgia 30269 Dear Jim: r-- f b_ I. I propose to install at my expense a 1000 gallon, 100 linear foot Class "A" sand fill system. I would further allow both Mike Ginn and Doug Warner and his partners to utilize the septic tank system for their respective hangars. This system could be located, as per our conversations, in the grassy area between the parking on the rear side of the hangars and the aircraft parking ramp. I am proposing the above based upon approval of the Airport Authority, and upon approval of the County Health Department as to the septic tank system, as well as agreement by other Utility Companies to provide necessary utilities. I would propose to start on the building in the Fall of 1996. Should you have any questions lease call. .-.. f WAS/pws Enclosure 99 HOWELL AVENUE . FAIRBURN, GEORGIA 30213 , " ,:~ ,- pI ~ ~ t- ~.' . l~ ~ ~, 1= ill. s ~4 ~ ~ "- ~I lJl 1, -' ~ ~~ ~ w 3 I I I r- ! ~ r l- I I I I I I G- Q -, _.... "." ...., ----- I I I I I , I ,''''';'' v , I I I - I ~ J I N D I IJiJ I J I I I J - -~ _--.J . - , 0 , """.SO/ " , . . .~.. " I~ yc;- - 0 ~ 1, III II " 0 ~I ~pL r -~ , s~. ll' . . _~..J\ II t) 1 i l) j ./ '\Jl -:; -!' 0 : I' . c.- o \ -' ~1 [Y- :::f t -..-. " ; 09 8 N\ " ~ f\I - '~""';':. 3-:>'..,.,J,;. Ul {J ,.> Q.J. ......".r7/B'~.O~xoz ", .., I' rT, rl1 I I - ~ I It" I ! '16~+ s' aNI'~7J~ t I : co'sOI B 61 i NOTICE * NOTICE * NOTICE The Peachtree City Airport Authority will hold its regularly scheduled meeting for the month of July, at 7:00 p.m., in the City Council Chambers, on July 10,1996. This change in date is due to a conflict of schedules caused by the July 4th holiday. On behalf of the Peachtree City Airport Authority, we invite the public interested in aviation to join us for coffee and donuts and the dedication of the new Aviation Center, Seven Falcon Drive, at 9:00 a.m., July 4, 1996. Congressman Mac Collins will be the guest speaker. Thanks for your 'nterest. @ James H. Savage Airport Manager - I f' 6-30-96 r-: PEACHTREE CITY AIRPORT AUTHORITY RECORD OF ATTENDANCE AS OF: June 30,1996 Members Reftular Meetinas Meetings ReOUlar Soeclal Called Special Called Total Last 12 Months Attended Attendance Meet/nos Last Meetinns Attendance % 12 Months Attended % David M. Good 11 11 100% 4 4 100% Janet Wells. 6 6 100% 2 2 100% Bob Patterson 11 9 82% 4 2 73% Dan Carr 11 11 100% 4 4 100% Mike Amos 11 11 100% 4 4 100% . New member 1/1/96 ,....., E I 'lembers Dates Absent Type David M. Good Janet Wells Bob Patterson 3/6/96 Reaular 3/20/96 Soecial 4/3/96 Reaular 5/20/96 Soecial Dan Carr Mike Amos Meeting Dates Type 1/3/96 Reaular 217/96 Reaular 3/6/96 Reaular 3/20/96 Soecial 4/3/96 Reaular 5/1/96 Reaular 5/20/96 Soecial 6/12/96 Reaular 7/5/95 Reaular 8/2/95 Reaular 8/18/95 Soecial 9/6/95 Reaular 9/26/95 Soecial 10/4/95 None 11/8/95 Reaular 12/6/95 Reaular ,..... r !' Page 1