Loading...
04-01-1998 Regular Meeting ,.-, PEACHTREE CITY AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES OF MEETING ~ j April 1, 1998 The regular meeting of the Peachtree City Airport Authority, was held in the City Hall Council Chambers, Peachtree City, on April 1 , 1998, at 7:00 p.m. Those present were: Chairman Robert B. Patterson; Members Daniel E. Carr, David M. Good, H.E. Buffington and Janet E. Wells; Airport Manager James H. Savage; Recording Secretary Shirley R. Comer; and Authority Attorney Douglas B. Warner. L ANNOUNCEMENTS None. II. ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS ~ A motion was made by Ms. Wells and seconded by Mr. Good to add an additional agenda item, to be known as 98-04-04, to discuss the proposed presentation to City Council to be given on April 4, 1998; to discuss strategic plans for the development of the airport; and to rearrange the agenda for tonight's meeting to consider the items in the following order: (1) 98-04-02; (2) 98-04-04; (3) 98-04-03; and (4) 98-04-01. After considerable discussion, the motion passed on a vote of four in the affirmative, with Chairman Patterson voting nay. III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES A motion was made by Mr. Carr and seconded by Mr. Good to approve the minutes of the March 4,1998, Authority meeting as presented. The motion passed unanimously. -- 1 - IV. REPORTS , ~ A. Airport Manager - Jim Savage Mr. Savage distributed the following report to the members: AIRPORT MANAGER'S REPORT - APRIL 1, 1998 1. At the Aviation Center, repairs to the roof, and the interior damaged by the roof leakage, are mostly completed. The somewhat heavy showers that moved through early this morning caused only one leak, which is a new one. The air conditioning system in the FBO end of the building has been modified with a thermistatically controlled diverter valve that appears to have improved temperature regulation in the heating mode. We may have to wait until it gets a bit warmer to determine if it works as well in the cooling mode. Installation of the additional piping to improve the drainage system by the facility is slated to begin "soon", according to Mr. Pace. ~ f , 2. Re-construction of the OOALS approach light system began Monday. Our agreement with Walker & Whiteside is that they will have 45 days to complete the project. Their first task was to pour three new concrete bases for the modified lights, including raising one base that was buried nearly two feet underground due to previous airport construction. 3. Mr. Ed Ratigan of the state has approved our plans and specifications for the apron crack sealing and runway and taxiway re-striping project. I will be preparing a "Request For Bids" and mailing it to potential bidders next week, with the intention of having bids back by the end of April. The GaOOT has requested that we bid the jobs as a single project, using a sealing contractor as the prime company. Once we have selected a bidder and have established a firm price, the State will send us a contract for execution. The Authority's share (25%) of the total $24,000 project is approximately $6,000. 4. Sometime during the night of March 7, thieves broke into seven aircraft tied down on the ramp and stole several thousand dollars worth of aircraft radios. It appears that King/Bendix KX155, nav/comm radios were the most popular items stolen, although in some cases, the thieves did more damage getting into the aircraft than the value of what was stolen. These are the first reported losses of this nature on the airport in over six years. 2 ~ The Peachtree City Police Department and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation are working the case, and the FBI has made inquiries as well. Apparently that same night, Newnan Airport and Griffin Airport were also hit, although a check with other metro area airports revealed no additional break-ins. " f> , Detective Epps of the PCPD will provide the Authority with a report when completed. He also reports that they have a couple of leads that are located in an adjoining state. 5. I met with CAF members,and Ed Foster, Airshow Coordinator, on March 25. The CAF has decided to hire a marketing advisor to help raise the necessary funds from airshow sponsors, and to help promote the event. Initial funding will come from the CAF and the Fayette Youth Home, with the balance to be raised from sponsors. Due to the length of tonight's agenda, I have asked that they give the Authority an update at next month's Authority meeting that will include the acts booked to date, including anticipated military acts; progress on fund raising; coordination of vendors and participation of local civic organizations; parking location and method of shuttling public to and from parking lots; and any other issues pending. "..-, 6. We received some preliminary sketches from Wilbur Smith and Associates on the redesign of Hangar Area "B" on the southeast corner of the airport. While they have the general idea of what we wish to achieve, the layouts presented so far are not acceptable. I will be working with WSA to have suitable drawings prepared before the next Authority meeting. WSA has surveyed the area to do preliminary topographical work. 7. I would like to remind everyone that the Airport Authority meets with the City Council at 8:00 am on Saturday, April 4, 1998, to brief them on airport activities. 8. Mr. Tom Dunleavy of AMARC, Davis-Monthan AFB advised us that the F-16 we will be acquiring will be ready for delivery to our shipping contractor on May 22, 1998. DMI, Inc. says it will take approximately 10 days to prepare it for shipping, and if we allow five or six days for travel, the plane should arrive about the 6th of June, ("0" Day). Total cost of towing, disassembly and shipping should run less than $9,000. B. Tenant Liaison. Janet Wells Ms. Wells stated that she had nothing new to report. 3 - V. OLD AGENDA ITEMS F ~, ~. None. VI. NEW AGENDA ITEMS 98-04-02 Consider proposal from Mr. Bob Riddell and Mr. Bill Mercure to build a private hangar on lot D22. Mr. Mercure presented his request to build a hangar, which is attached and made a part of these minutes, under the name of Aviation Investment Resources, Inc. Plans call for the hangar to be essentially identical to adjacent hangars in size, color and materials, except that it will have an 18 foot door. A motion was made by Mr. Good and seconded by Ms. Wells to approve the request as presented, using the standard General Aviation Service Hangar Ground Lease agreement. The motion passed unanimously. 98-04-04 Discuss the proposed presentation to City Council to be given on April 4, 1998; discuss strategic plans for the development of the airport; and rearrange the agenda for tonight's meeting to consider the items in the following order: (1) 98-04-02; (2) 98-04-04; (3) 98-04-03; and (4) 98-04-01. A lengthy discussion was held on the need to develop both strategic and tactical plans for long term airport development and operation. Several airport tenants, including: Mr. Mike Gunn; Mr. Bill Mercure; Mr. Leo Giles; Ms. Suzzanne Greenway and Mr. Tom Olive rose to speak on the issue. It was the opinion of several Authority members and the tenants attending, that in view of the various uncertainties surrounding the major tenants Stevens Aviation and Hunting Aircraft, and how those uncertainties might affect future budgeting and airport lease rates, that a work session should be held in a more casual environment to develop such plans. It was agreed by the Authority that in lieu of the regular May meeting of the Authority, that an informal work session be held in the lobby of the Aviation Center to discuss the issue and hopefully reach a conclusion. The tentative date set was for May 6, 1998. Following this discussion, the Authority reviewed the draft presentation to City Council and made several minor changes. There were no formal votes taken on this item. 4 98-04-03 Adopt Interim Operating Budget for the second half of FY 1998. Following discussions on the need to hold the informal meeting in May prior to passing a long term budget, or to consider changes in airport fees, a motion was made by Mr. Good and seconded by Ms. Wells to adopt the proposed Interim Operating Budget for a period beginning on April 1 , 1998, and ending on June 30, 1998, and to table action on agenda item 98-04-01 until a later meeting. The motion passed unanimously. 98-04-01 Review hangar area "A" lease policies and lease rates, including application of 2% fee for "on-field" commercial operators. Tabled by action on Agenda Item 98-04-03 At 8:47 p.m., Chairman Patterson called for a ten minute recess to reconvene in Executive Session to confer with the Airport Authority Attorney on pending legal matters. ~ , Ie VII. EXECUTIVE SESSION The Authority discussed pending legal matters with Mr. Warner and Mr. Savage, but took no formal action. At 9:25 p.m., a motion to adjourn was made by Ms. Wells and seconded by Mr. Good. The motion Rassed unanimously. - ~4P Robert B. Patterson, Chairman Attested by: ~ r- ! Ii- 5 ./. ~ r; l: f AVIATION INVESTMENT RESOURCES, INC. 3800 SHERBROOK CT. Addr=Line2 COLLEGE PARK. GA30349 USA Phone 404-344-3 I 3 8 Fax 404.344-3138 March 27, 1998 Mr. Jim Savage Airport Manager Peachtree City Airport Authority Peachtree City, GA Dear Jim, Pursuant to your request, the following describes our intentions for lot 0-22 on the northwest side of the airport. AIR, Inc. proposes to construct a 75 X 65 X 18 metal hangar similar to design and exterior appearance to the three existing hangars. We will comply with all local building and fire codes as well as the contents of the Executive Storage Hangar Ground Lease contract. We plan to begin construction during the month of April 1998 and be essentially finished by mid June 1998. This hangar will be the initial base of operations for Silver Ace Aviation, Inc. and Atlanta Flight Shares, Inc. Both Bob Riddell and myselflook forward to this first of many business steps at the Peachtree City Airport and anticipate our continued friendly and businesslike relationship with your office and that of that of the Airport Authority Board. If! can be of further help or answer any questions you may have regarding our company, please don't hesitate to call me. Sincerely, ~ Bill Mercure